Reading Time: 1 minute

EPA and CARB engines – What does it mean for you?

Kalmar Ottawa Terminal Tractors offers both EPA and CARB engines to meet local regulatory requirements.

CARB: California Air Resources Board

EPA: Environmental Protection Agency

In 2022, manufacturers must distinguish at the time of order which type of engine, emissions, and warranty configuration will be produced for each factory build in order to comply with the specified local regulations.  

Recently several other states have adopted CARB regulation (aside from California). Currently, those states are Pennsylvania and New Jersey – although additional states may adopt as well.

As of the time of this writing, a CARB-certified unit may be registered in all 50 states. However, an EPA-certified unit may not be registered in states where CARB is required. There is an additional cost for the CARB-certified configuration.

Engines cannot be switched from CARB to EPA or vice-versa after production.

Some cities have local ordinances and requirements which may require CARB or Clean Idle tags for operation within their city limits. 

What does it mean for you?  

If you are considering a new Kalmar Ottawa, be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • What state will your Ottawa be registered in?
  • What are the current, local requirements for that state?
  • Are there specific requirements for the cities where the unit may be operating? Click here for further information. 

JX Truck Center and Kalmar Ottawa can help you evaluate your needs and ensure that you are ordering the correct product with the right EPA and CARB engines for your application. 

JX Truck Center has proudly represented Kalmar Ottawa Terminal Tractors for over 30 years.  If you are interested in a quote, demo, or would like more information, visit your local JX or give us a call today

Author: Darren Simon, Corporate Vocational Sales Manager