Times have changed! The application process is completely different then it was 10 years ago. No more paper applications, most companies have leaned on the internet for job postings. So how does someone follow up on a submitted resume? Or try to show an employer they are interested in a position while being a needle in a hay-stake??? EMAIL!!!
There are a few email etiquette tips that can help you:
1. Don’t leave your subject line blank & be clear in your subject line
2. Briefly introduce yourself.
3. Avoid using shortcuts to real words, emoticons, jargon, or slang.
4. Keep it short and get to the point.
5. If attaching a document double check it is the correct item for the employer to review
6. Always provide a signature and contact info
7. Make sure you reply in a timely manner
8. Make sure you proofread before sending!
9. Make sure your tone is appropriate. No caps, bold, underlined words!
10. Know your audience, this email is a perception of you
Hopefully these tips help with your next job search and email follow up. If you are interested in joining the JX Family be sure to view our open positions.
Author: Casey Theis, Regional Recruiter