For some, winter weather has already arrived; while others are seeing a nice finish to the autumn weather. Regardless of your location, winter is coming and bringing cold temperatures and potentially hazardous road conditions. JX PacLease performs winter inspections ensuring the proper cold weather operation of your truck components. However, there is still more you need to do to make sure your fleet starts and runs safely. Here are a few tips on how to prepare your fleet for the winter weather:
- Use a reputable fuel supplier and blend fuel for winter weather
- Fuel additives can help reduce the chance for fuel gelling. However, always follow the additive supplier directions as overdosing can cause engine damage.
- Bio-Diesel is not recommended.
- Monitor weather predictions and prepare your fleet ahead of time. Colder temperatures over the weekend can cripple a fleet which hasn’t been plugged in.
- Maintain your vehicle’s PM currency.
- Continue performing thorough Pre and Post trip inspections, report problems immediately.
- Check your electric circuits/breakers to ensure that vehicle block heaters have power from the extension cords.
- Never start a truck while it’s plugged in.
- Keep your windshield washer reservoir full.
- Turn the ignition key to the on position for 1 to 10 minutes before trying to start. This allows the engine computer, 12 volt heaters and air dryers to preheat.
- Mirror surfaces and antennas will show ice often times before the road surface does. If you see an icy mirror, the road surface is likely to become icy soon.
- Carry an emergency kit including warm clothes, boots and gloves, a flashlight with extra batteries, a blanket, and non-perishable food like nuts and candy.
Following these tips will help you prepare your fleet for the winter weather ahead. If you are in need of a Peterbilt or Volvo rental truck that is maintained and ready for the winter weather, give our JX Rental Representatives a call or visit your local JX for your next rental truck!
Author: Sean Walford – Area Rental Manager, JX Leasing